Jeff O'Brien's Reviews > What the Night Knows

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: dean-koontz
Read from April 21 to 24, 2012

Koontz can still do it! I had no idea that this would be one of my favorite DK books. I, among other die-hard Koontz lovers, have started to grow skeptical. Who could blame us after Breathless and Relentless? But he is back to form and on top of his game once again. What The Night Knows is on par with his more recent classics like The Face and Odd Thomas. There's no overly cutesy dialog, a good and satisfying ending and the entire book holds a somber tone that Koontz is best at. It almost reminds me of Servants of Twilight, but without the ridiculous snow mobile scene and an ending that doesn't suck balls.

The only issue I have here has nothing to do with the writing, but with Bantam's marketing team, I would guess. Though this is labeled as a "ghost story" it really isn't. It certainly qualifies as "supernatural thriller" and horror, I won't get more specific than that. It could almost be a spoiler. I'm a little surprised by all the hate this book got, and I strongly recommend. If you're a first time Koontz reader I think you'll like it even more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Night Knows.