Susan's Reviews > A Room of One's Own

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2011

In 1928, Virginia Woolf was asked to give a talk about women and fiction, and this is the result. I would love to have been able to sit and listen to her deliver the paper(s) that were expanded to become this book. In fact, reading, one can almost imagine Woolf at the podium, telling us what she thinks.

She set about her task by surveying first what men had written about women, and then what women themselves had written in successive centuries. Having done this, she shares her own ideas about the differential circumstances that conspired to ensure that, for centuries, women really didn't have the opportunity to write. She ties her conclusions into the statement that a woman must have 500 pounds a year and a room of her own. And she goes on to discuss the different ways men and women have of writing, and the way she thinks women should write. Some of what she says may seem a bit dated, but for her time it must have been revolutionary.

I haven't read any of Woolf's fiction. But now, having savored this, I certainly intend to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room of One's Own.