Elizabeth's Reviews > It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir

F 50x66
Jul 22, 2011

did not like it
Read on July 22, 2011

I received this book as part of a goodreads giveaway and feel compelled to review it since I didn't pay for it. Unfortunately, I don't recommend this book.

There are moments of goodness to be found: stories with lessons, the underdog sticking it to the arch enemy, or overcoming personal and professional challenges. But between them are random sidetracked and long-winded thoughts, an unhealthy dose of jealousy and insecurity, raunchy (not funny) interjections and a complete lack of direction. The book is filled with so many "it's hard being a writer and everyone hates what I write" chapters that almost make me feel bad for writing a negative review.

As a graphic designer, I can't ignore the cover. It has nothing to do with the book. Why is the girl in a prom/bridesmaids (or just formal, for that matter) dress? Neither of these were themes in the book. And the red background? Very Carrie (though the book is not).

When I got to the end (and breathed a sigh of relief), I read that parts of the book started off as magazine articles. That explained the lack of cohesion along with some serious editorial blunders. I'm confused about the errors I found. This book is not ready for print.

St. Martin's Press - get it together.

p. 123 p3: "dollar twenty thousand worth" - ???

p. 132 p3: "social" should be "socially"

p. 140 p1: "psyche" should be "psych"

p. 154 point 6: add parenthesis after "word"

p. 190 p4: clearly an editorial slip - who is Gigi? I think you mean George...followed by "son" instead of "daughter" (though this does sound like a passive aggressive "slip" by the author)

p.214 p1: "worst" should be "worse"

p. 219: no period after "money" in quote

p. 221: capitalize the "o" in "opportunity"

p. 227: first sentence: "feeling" should be "feelings"

I don't want to be distracted by errors. I'd imagine there are plenty more to be found if someone wants to actually go looking for them.

Seriously, skip this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Hard Not to Hate You.