Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Aug 13, 10

bookshelves: 4-stars, 2010, owned-ebook, inspirational, memoir, non-fiction
Read from August 02 to 13, 2010, read count: 1

As a Christian who believes in a mostly* literal interpretation of the Bible, I found this memoir absolutely fascinating! First of all, it was interesting to see the Bible through a non-religious Jew POV. And secondly it was fascinating to see anybody attempt to follow all the laws of both the Old and the New Testament.

I really enjoyed A.J. Jacobs' writing style, and was releaved to see how respectful his approach was. He actually ended up teaching me a thing or two about how to follow the Bible as well.

I've wanted to read this book for ages and was very gratified to see that it completely lived up to my expectations.

* There are some passages that are obviously meant to be taken figuratively - when Jesus calls the disciples "salt of the earth", He didn't actually mean they were made of NaCl ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.

08/04/2010 page 109
33.0% "Day 80: I'm incredibly fascinated!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a really great and intriguing read! :)

Maria M. Elmvang I'm only up to day 34 but am loving to so far!

Mhgoblue I'm so glad I'm not married to that guy.

Maria M. Elmvang You and me both!