Lindsay's Reviews > Shatter Me

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: cover-lust, all-time-favorites, books-i-own
Read from January 01 to 04, 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

I had a lot of high expectations for this book as the months passed. I've heard pretty much amazing things from this Dystopian book and even though I should know better than to have expectations, I'm glad I did! Because I would not have picked up this book as quickly as I had without hearing all the great things from bloggers and Goodreads friends alike.

Tahereh Mafi writes...poetry. Every sentence is something deep and beautiful and adds something completely unique to a brand new character in YA. Juliette. When learning all about her struggles, her past, and her current situation, I felt so much compassion and love for her. Basically, the only company she had all her life was literature which explains the way she always spoke in metaphors. But as the books continued, I fell in love with her character. She was strong, she was passionate, and she was ready to fight back! The ultimate YA heroine! I had no complaints about her. My heart ached for her pain but I just knew she was a force to be reckoned with once she found the strength within herself.

That being said, it is time for me to rant: I ABSOLUTELY HATE WARNER! GRAH! I have absolutely no idea why everyone likes this guy. I can't even fathom why anyone would even be attracted to Warner. I thought that there would be something sexy and mysterious about him when I read reviews but he was disgusting and unattractive right off the bat and this only continued as I read on. First off, he's obsessed with her. There's no love, no passion, just obsession. Its disturbing how obsessed he is with her. And before any of you Warner fans attack BACK OFF! Because I have proof: Adam told Juliette that Warner had been researching her for years! Even before they met, he had her constantly in his mind which is freaky. He also had her imprisoned for 264 days just to watch her which is yes very creepy as well. He also made sure he never left her side! He could hardly get away from her! It wasn't cute, it was freaking scary! Warner isn't a misunderstood bad boy or a suffering person. He is a power hungry murderous obsessed monster who has parent issues and doesn't know when to quit. I honestly hope he dies off because people who are so warped and twisted and him do not deserve to be alive.

So I am Team Adam obviously. Adam is a sweetheart. Adam is protective. Adam is a soldier who has been hardened by a war to protect the ones he loves. Not only that, but he actually has a past with her which most characters don't have with each other. I think there is so much more to Adam that meets the eye and I am so so excited to see more of him. He is an angel :) Plus, he and Juliette have passion, unlike Warner and Juliette. They are the perfect couple in my eyes.

Overall, I loved this book. I don't want to refer to this book as a love triangle because outright, it's not. To me, there's no competition. Juliette knows who she wants and I love Tahereh Mafi so I hope she doesn't do anything to ruin this so far so good start to an amazing series! Can't wait for the next book!

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I want to read this SO BADLY. I would love to know your opinion of it when you finish it. :)

Lindsay Hopefully I'll be able to let you know by tomorrow! :) I'm going to be having a lot of reading time today and tomorrow so fingers crossed!

Megan Lindsay wrote: "Hopefully I'll be able to let you know by tomorrow! :) I'm going to be having a lot of reading time today and tomorrow so fingers crossed!"

Awesome!
Well i've heard nothing but GREAT things.

btw, I put beautiful chaos on hold on my library so I should be picking it up from there either today or tomorrow! :D
FINALLY.

Lindsay You are going to love it Megan. It is so so so good and I'm only like fifty pages in! & YES! YOU'RE FINALLY GETTING IN!

Gah, you're going to die and fall in love and go insane and oh I can't wait to hear what you think! The wait for the fourth book is going to seem killer, believe me.

message 5: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess Oh man, I really hated this book. I couldn't understand half the metaphors used. I kept going "WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" every time she said something.

Megan Thats fantastic! I LOVE when a book sucks you in! :)
I heard the writing is beautiful as well. <3

YES. VERY HAPPY. Found out that my library had gotten a copy of it, and I was like that book is MINE.
I know I said that I was going to read it a few months back, but I just got caught up in SO many other books. I plan on reading this as soon as I finish Spirit Bound, which should be either tomorrow or the next day when I start it. :D

I HATE WAITING. :/ I know I'm going to love it!!!! I adored the 2nd one! <3

Lindsay Jess - It sucks that you hated it. I mean, I'm loving the book so far and I actually love the metaphors because of the mystery. But it sucks you couldn't get into it. I like that this book is also so different than most YA books out there.

Megan - This book is definitely sucking me in! It's so amazing! And oh you're reading Spirit Bound! That book is amazing too! But yes, you must read Beautiful Chaos so we can FINALLY rave lol. But right after that, you need to get Last Sacrifice because that book is amazing. Then you'll need to get Bloodlines! Lol, you have a lot of reading to do.

Megan Thats awesome! :)
Unfortunately, my library was NOT open today. :/
I'm defintely going to get it THIS WEEK though! :)
We most defintely will have to talk about it when i'm finished.
Yes, I am. This series . . . Words can't explain. <3
I read the frst three back to back. I read the 4th one a couple of months ago, and i've been DYING to read this one! I really want to read Bloodlines too,but of course I wnt to finish VA first. :D

I have a TON to catch up on!

Lindsay Gah! Are you serious??? Go get it! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait till you get it!

The series is amazing! I read them all in a row last year and I died when I read them all! Bloodlines is great too but the wait for the Golden Lily is too long! Yes girl, get on it! You do have a lot to read lol!

Megan YES! :/
I'm defintely going to get it TOMORROW because I have to go do something, so i'll go by the library while i'm out. :)

I do, I do. I feel like i'm SUPER behind. There are MANY books I want to read, but unfortunately I can't read all of them at once!

To fill the void until I finally get my hands on BC, i'm reading Perfect by Ellen Hopkins because its in verse so its a quick read.
LOVE her books so much! <3

The VA series has my heart. that ending in the 5th one . . . THAT ENDING. I really want the last one RIGHT NOW. :D

Lindsay Yes, the last one! Oh it was so good!!! And I loved Perfect! Ellen Hopkins is such an amazing writer. I've always loved her writing (other than one book) and you'll definitely like this one. Still dying to hear what you think about BC

Megan Defintely reading the 6th one in the next couple of months! :)
She is, she has such an amazing way with words.
Don't worry, I will defintely let you know!

Lindsay She does! Everything she writes is just so wonderful amazing and it completely draws you in!

Megan EXACTLY. :)
I'm fimishing Perfect tomorrow, and you know what book is next! ;D

Lindsay Yes yes yes! Btw, Shatter Me was amazing! You're going to love it! I just hope you're not Team Warner like everyone else ugh...you'll see.

Caryn People are Team Warner?? Why??

I love Adam!!

Megan :D
let me guess, love triangle?
unlike most people, I actually dont mind a love triangle if its written well. :)

Lindsay Caryn OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THAT! Warner pisses me off so so much! He's not sexy at all he's just creepy! I'm glad someone agrees with me!

Megan I do agree with you Megan but a lot of the time love triangles aren't well written. My favorite would have to be Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy because of the twist at the end.

Megan true, VERY true.
Well then I will defintely have to read that one.
I have read the first two. :)

Megan DONE with BC! I finshed this morning!

Esther Team Warner, woooo!