Carmon's Reviews > A Different Kind of Teacher: Solving the Crisis of American Schooling

A Different Kind of Teacher by John Taylor Gatto

Mar 26, 08

Read in March, 2008

Lots of essays about his low opinion of public schooling and his high opinion of the ability of parents and children to direct their own education. He has a blind spot about the Puritans, attributing some fatalistic control in compulsory schooling to their influence in history, but I think that the New England soil that produced factory-style teaching sprung more from the rejection of the Puritans' beliefs and embracing Unitarianism (he does address that, too, and not approvingly). This book reminded me of some of the reasons we reject that model so profoundly. A good resource for sharing war stories and philosophy with those who don't understand why we so strongly embrace homeschooling.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Different Kind of Teacher.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I own this book and want to get to it eventually. I also have a copy of 'Reforming Education' by Mortimer Adler that I'd like to read. I am definitely in a season of less reading with our little Anna, but these early years pass all too quickly, I know, and I'll get to a point where I can read more very soon. I'd really like to plow through his 'Underground History' someday as well.