Ronald Wise's Reviews > A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You

A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You by Amy Bloom

Jul 23, 11

Read from January 01 to 02, 2011, read count: 1

Each of these short stories seemed to eventually focus on a love relationship, whether or not it was obvious, socially sanctioned, or even desired. Perhaps the author's previous work as a social worker and psychotherapist had broadened her awareness of the unusual types of relationships.

These stories were generally not celebrations of love. In fact, there seemed to be an overall sense of melancholy resignation, with this attitude perceived in the characters, often before the reader knows why. Understanding the characters required some concentration, with some of the stories ending just as I felt I was getting to know them. I was pleasantly surprised that one of the stories was a continuation of the one before, allowing me to see where the plot in the former had eventually led with familiar characters.

I keep thinking about the phrase used as the title for this book: "A blind man can see how much I love you." I originally assumed it referred to obvious love. After reading this book, I believe it may be in reference to the acuteness of the non-visual senses attributed to blind people, as the amorous relationships herein tended to be disguised to outward appearances, but were obvious in other ways.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You.