Ronald Wise's Reviews > Captive of My Desires

Captive of My Desires by Johanna Lindsey

Oct 04, 11

Read from May 27 to June 02, 2011, read count: 1

I’m actually embarrassed to publicly admit I read this book, but writing reviews for romance novels can be entertaining in itself. This one was added to my reading list because of its 3-week stay on the New York Times hard-cover fiction best-seller list in the summer of 2006, and somehow it percolated up to next-read status. Only when I checked it out of the library did I realize what I was in for – the front cover was a dead giveaway, and on the back sat the author, reminding me of the character Mary Fisher, as played by Meryl Streep in the 1989 movie She-Devil.

While I don’t expect much of this genre, I’m still disappointed when a romance novel falls into the same old formulaic rut as the thousands before it. When it’s considered a historical romance, I hope – in addition to some good erotica – to perhaps learn something about everyday life in a long-ago time, and maybe a faraway place. But the only history in this one was to place it in a stereotypically-described time and place where aristocratic aspirations provided the obstacles, and pirates provided some lame suspense. There were several passages in this book that made me vividly recall a certain Bob Hope romantic comedy.

Author Lindsey had some well-written lustful scenes up to and including the point where conditions at sea finally throw the hero and heroine into bed together, including the opportunity for both to take a turn at being the master in some light, but titillating, S&M action. During those scenes I forgot all about Bob Hope, but his image came back full strength during the “dramatic” climax to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive of My Desires.