Angela Blount's Reviews > Babyville

Babyville by Jane Green

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: romance

Definitely readable. The three different stories of maternal longing and angst are vaguely connected, but only in passing. Essentially, you meet and follow the desperate wanna-be, the desperate don't-want-to-be, and the desperate already-there. The author has an easy-going style that carries you along willingly. The most dramatic and fascinating character development is found in the form of Maeve, the most reluctant of the three women. Her transformation in thinking and then in life was initially hard to warm up to, but once I had, I grew to love her story the most.

On the down side, I had a lot of trouble sympathizing with the first character you are introduced to: Julia. She comes across as shallow and two-dimensional, but at least serves a purpose in unwittingly propelling events with other characters. I also felt like Samantha's part in the book was minimal and seemed to be meant to round out the varying stages of motherhood that the author seemed to be going for in representation.

Without giving anything away, I will say that ending is complete and satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babyville.