Angela Blount's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: classics
Read in May, 2011

I know this is one of the classics, but I still don't quite understand why. Nor do I understand why it ended up as required reading material for so many high-schoolers. I suppose it didn't help that I'd been led to believe the book was something of an unfortunate love-story. And in a way, I suppose it is. But ultimately it seemed to focus more on the peculiar fixations and carelessness of wealthy people who leave nothing but pain and destruction in their selfish wake, and yet somehow escape unscathed. It did leave me wondering about the author's definition of 'greatness'....and everyone else's, for that matter. Perhaps that was the point of it. I'm still not sure.

The writing style itself is crisp, flavorful, and distinctly masculine--nothing to complain about there. But rather, I was perplexed as to why the thing was called 'The Great Gatsby', and yet Gatsby himself isn't introduced until 1/3 of the way into the book. The place setting was almost too extensive for my tastes, and Nick the narrator was a bit of a bore. It does pick up decently once Gatsby enters the story, becoming highly dialogue-intensive. But aside from some tragic irony and few good quotes, I doubt I'll retain much from the experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.