John's Reviews > The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War

The Killing Zone by Frederick Downs

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: 20th-century, asia, historical, vietnam-war, autobiography, non-fiction, american-author
Read from July 22 to October 12, 2011

"The philosophical arguments in favor of man's ability to resist the slide into barbarism may sound noble and rational in a classroom or at a cocktail party. But when the enemy is bearing down, bent on taking your life away from you, its not his country against your country, not his army against your army, not his philosophy against your philosophy-it's the fact that that son-of-a-bitch is trying to kill you and you'd better kill him first" This is a great quote from the book that I think summarizes his experiences and perhaps those of any solider who has experienced combat.

The Killing zone, is a gripping, suspenseful account of Frederick Downs' service during the Vietnam War. Mr. Downs starts off as a Lieutenant new to Vietnam who is in charge of an entire platoon. As the book progresses he goes from being a new-timer to an old-timer and you see how these experiences change him. My only problem with this book is that, although the writing is decent, you can tell you he is not a professional writer. But the fact that everything that happened was real, I think makes up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Zone.

10/01/2011 page 114