Rebecca's Reviews > American Wife

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: chicklit
Read in August, 2009

This book took me forever to read! So many freakin' details about who the hell cares! Why do I keep picking books up by this author? As usual, almost the entire book takes place in the head of the protag. It's loosely based on Laura Bush, but since I don't know or care about anything from that family, I don't know what was real or fake. I was sort of interested in learning more when I was nearly done with this book, but then this situation of plastic surgery comes out of nowhere for like 5 pages and I immediately don't care anymore. This book jumps to significant events in "Alice"'s life so it leaves out a lot in between. Her killing the boy she likes in an accidental car crash, getting an abortion, meeting her future husband and because of that no longer talking to her best friend (LAME), her husbands drug and alcohol problems, leaving him for a short while and then their time in the White House where it's about to come out that she had an abortion, but via some very good luck, it doesn't. This book was okay, just very long and drawn out, as usual.

Grade: C

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Wife.