Fictitious Delicious's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-amy
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read in August, 2011, read count: 2

Review posted to www.fictitiousdelicious.com on 8/30/11.

*Note: I was lent this ARC by a friend (now my BEST friend). I didn't receive it from a publisher, but I DO give my honest review nonetheless!

5+!!

It’s official. I am in love with Stephanie Perkins. Not just like. No. LOVE. I LOOOOVE her. I love the way she writes and the way her writing makes me feel. I love her quirkiness and her quirky characters. I love the absolute fulfillment of a perfect ending. I love feeling like I’m in love for the first time.

And right now, I’m in love with the Boy Next Door.

You know, I think it takes a book like this to set the standard again. After reading some so-so books, and then some good books, those good books feel amazing! But then I go and read LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, and I am thrown into this beautiful, hilarious, REAL story with the most beloved characters, and most embarrassing moments, and so much love in my aching chest that I want to keel over right now because my life is complete.

I’m not exaggerating. It’s that good.

How does Stephanie Perkins do it? I think writing contemporary YA romance would be one of the hardest things to write. How do you do it without all the super cheese and the angst and the stereotypes? How do you make an original story? Maybe Stephanie just doesn't worry about those things. Because there is cheese, and it’s fabulous, and there is angst, and it’s beautiful. But what pulls it all together are lovely, dynamic, beloved characters with faults and dreams and realness. And it’s pure brilliance.

I loved Lola and her costuming. I loved the setting in San Francisco. I loved the perfectly paced plotline and timing. I loved the lessons learned. I loved seeing Anna and St. Clair (and they played a bigger part in the story than I thought they would!! YES!). I loved that Lola’s parents are both male and that it acknowledges but doesn't reinforce gay stereotypes. (Like the time when one dad says “I’m trying really hard not to use the word ‘fabulous’”, HA!). I can’t think of a single thing I did not love about this book. Except (warning: here comes the cliché of the night!) that it ended!

Bravo to Stephanie Perkins. And a VERY BIG IRISH PUNK ROCKER HUG to Brooke over at Brooke Reports, who loaned me her ARC after seeing my Waiting on Wednesday post! (As if I didn’t love you enough already, you made my dreams come true!) Go follow her NOW people, she's HI-larious! Though chances are you already do, cause you are all really cool, and she is really cool, so it's a good chance.

And now I suddenly have the urge to try on all my costumes and wigs. And to buy some tight men’s pin stripe pants and a bunch of rubber bands. Just sayin.

LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR will be released September 29th!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.