Sara's Reviews > You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried by Susannah Gora

Jan 10, 2015

bookshelves: stranger-than-fiction, own

This is a book that is for those of us who are in love with John Hughes and "The Brat Pack" (although they hate that term.) It takes us through each movie from the 80's that defined the entire era. From "The Breakfast Club" to "Some Kind Of Wonderful" this book takes a look at all of the movies that are still to this day looked at as iconic of a generation. It is a detailed telling of each movie, looking at the filming process, the casting, the music chosen, and everything in between. The book also talks about what those known as "The Brat Pack" are doing today. Ever wonder where Molly Ringwald ended up? What happened to the guy who was every girl's dream Michael Schoffling who played Jake Ryan? Unfortunately the book is poorly written. Some of the writing doesn't make a lot sense. It jumps from one thing to another sometimes in the middle of a thought. So you really, really have to love the material to make it through the whole thing. These movies and the music and the whole film era is something that I can't get enough of and so I truged through the bad writing and learned a lot of really hilarious and awesome things. If you are in love with this genre of film this is the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried.