Riv's Reviews > The Future of Us

Jul 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: giveaway
Read from October 06 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Better, clearer review to come.

The book was interesting. I felt like the authors were trying to hard with the world building. (Five pages in, and I'm being overwhelmed with "pop" culture references.)
And, although I'm assuming that Jay Asher wrote the chapters from Josh's POV and Carolyn Mackler wrote Emma's chapters, I didn't find a distinction between the two voices, oddly enough. The key to writing multiple POVs is clearly separating the voices, and I wasn't feeling it.

It was a pretty good book though. It wasn't predictable, and the ending was very bittersweet. Upon hearing about the book, I wondered how the authors would do it, and they incorporated Facebook very well.
There were some "inside jokes" for the reader as well. For example, two characters were talking about Ellen DeGeneres. One said that he thinks she might be gay, and the other character replied that it's impossible. :)

I recommend this book to those who can reminisce about the good ol' days, when computers took FOREVER to turn on, and you had to unplug your phone line to use the internet.
I also recommend it for those goshdarn young-un's, so we they can point and laugh. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy *_* Can I steal your copy in the middle of the night? /yearns/

message 2: by Riv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riv Cinnamon wrote: "*_* Can I steal your copy in the middle of the night? /yearns/"

Maybe I'll consider giving it to some random person as a trade or a present *hint hint* ;)

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Aww, that is really sweet of you :3

message 4: by Riv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riv Cinnamon wrote: "Aww, that is really sweet of you :3
But haha, it's OK. The publication date is coming up soon so I should be able to rustle up a copy, then."

Good luck with that :)