Karen's Reviews > Fade Out

Jul 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: vampire-werewolf-faerie-etc, young-adult
Read from July 22 to 23, 2011

The central concept of the Morganville Vampires series is one I really like. Vampires dominate a small Texan town and the series in part traces the changing relationships between the vampire overlords and their blood-bearing subjects.

Now that Bishop's attempted coup has been defeated the series could have declined in quality but Fade Out turned out to be one of my favourite volumes. An insane vampire turned computer is an intriguing foe, and since this also means we get to see more of the creator of Ada that is not something I have issues with. Myrnin is my favourite character - especially when he is wearing his fanged bunny slippers! The relationships and friendships between the four residents of the Glass House are also developing. Shane and Claire, Michael and Eve and Eve and Claire all have obstacles to overcome in this book and some manage it better than others.

I do have to say though, that for a character who either is meant to be, or who is based on, Oliver Cromwell you would have thought Oliver would have had a better idea of how to plan to overthrow Amelie. It isn't like he hasn't had practice! Although, now that it has been made clearer that he has unresolved feelings for her I do wonder where the series is going in that regard.

Overall, pick up this book for a few hours of solid entertainment. (But only if you have read the first six volumes as these books are not really suitable as stand-alone reads).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fade Out.

Quotes Karen Liked

Rachel Caine
“I don’t see a way in,” Eve whispered.
Why are you whispering?” Myrnin whispered back. “Vampires can hear us, anyway.”
Rachel Caine, Fade Out

Rachel Caine
“As she turned to concentrate on the portal, Eve tugged on Claire's shirt. "What?"
"Ask him where he got the boots."
"You ask." Personally, Claire wanted the vampire bunny slippers.”
Rachel Caine, Fade Out

07/22/2011 page 49
14.0% "It seems a long time since I read book 6. From what I remember the idea behind the series is fabulous but the execution is somewhat lacking. However, we will see."