Emily's Reviews > The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars

The Murder of the Century by Paul  Collins

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011, on-shelf-at-library-so-why-not
Read in July, 2011

There's a hole at the center of this book that took me a while to perceive. The alleged murderers are there most vividly, in all their backstabbing sordidness. The victim, too, is described. The lawyers are personified, as are a few jurors and detectives. Even the newspaper titans Hearst and Pulitzer are portrayed. Who is missing? The reporters who originally told this story in the pages of the World and the Journal. Given the current charges against Rupert Murdoch's news empire, a story of journalists interfering in a police investigation is very timely--except that the reader doesn't see a lot of what happened on the ground. I don't know whether the material that would reveal that layer of the story is absent, or the author just didn't bother with it, but I finished this book feeling like I'd missed the best part of the tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of the Century.