Christa Seeley's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook, coming-of-age, lgbtq, genre-contemporary, own
Read from April 05 to 10, 2012

Originally posted at Hooked on Books

Since Audiobook Week is falling during YA Pride I thought I would combine the events and do an audio review of the audio of Will Grayson Will Grayson!

This is a story with some of the most perfectly imagined characters. Both of the Will Grayson’s are just looking for something and simultaneously trying to find themselves. The emotion from both characters felt incredibly raw and real. I loved both of them – but if I had to choose I think the second Will Grayson is my favourite. I just found him the easiest relate to. That being said, I think the first Will Grayson (the one that goes to school with Tiny Cooper) does the most growing as a character. They’re both amazing characters to read about in their own way. Even the secondary characters are fabulous. I’ve never loved a character like I’ve loved Tiny Cooper – he’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face. If I ever met him in real life, I would hug him.

I’m always wary of books with multiple points of view, but in Will Grayson Will Grayson it is perfectly done. Levithan and Green have such distinct voices but they complement each other wonderfully. Co-authored by John Green and David Levithan I knew this book would be sweet and touching but I didn’t expect it to be so funny. Like laugh out loud funny. If you think you get weird looks when you laugh out loud in public while reading, imagine the looks you get if you do it while listening to an audiobook. But you’ll be so wrapped up in the story, you won’t care.

Notes on the Audio
This is an amazing book and is now one of my all-time favourites. The narrators are all so vibrant and lively. They really become the characters. Part of this story involves the production of the school musical, written by the fabulous Tiny Cooper. Some of the lyrics for this musical are actually written out in the book, and the narrators actually sing them. Having “The Summer of Gay” sang to me was definitely a noteworthy audio experience.

Final Recommendation: A beautiful and touching story that makes you laugh even when it’s sad. Whether in print or audio this is a captivating novel and one that I can’t recommend enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

04/10/2012