Michael's Reviews > Very Bad Men

Very Bad Men by Harry Dolan

Aug 10, 11

Read from August 04 to 10, 2011

I'm trying to think of why I enjoyed this book so much. The hook, the plot, the twists, and the characters are all well done, but nothing I haven't read before and nothing that truly jumps out in blurb/dust jacket form. This isn't a high concept thriller. The more I think about it, the more I believe it's the voice. That rare story commodity that's hard to pin down and best explained as you know it when you see it (or read it).

The author has given David Loogan a great, distinctive voice. Dolan has the quiet story telling confidence to make what might be an ordinary story in other hands just pop off the page. Loogan is just a great everyman character (ok, he does have a shadowy past) with a knack for worming his way into trouble. The side characters (and ongoing series characters) are nicely fleshed out and while the narrative momentum dips near the end, it quickly dusts itself off and bangs to a great conclusion.

A book, and a series, that I'll be recommending to folks and looking forward to reading more installments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Bad Men.