Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: legal-mystery-suspense, 4-plus-star-other
Read in July, 2011

4 ½ stars. Enjoyable, engaging, well-done legal suspense. The main character is clever and fun to read.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I enjoyed this. I was engaged throughout which surprised me. Normally I find most mysteries formulaic (slowly uncovering clues). This story felt different. I liked the process along the way. Mickey was a clever con man at times. For example, his client was worried about the press. So Mickey called over the man videotaping the courtroom process and asked what he would sell his tape for. Mickey then bought the tape for $1000, which impressed the client. The client didn’t know that Mickey had a relationship with the video guy, using a code word between them to set the price. I loved the way Mickey’s investigator checked out details for Mickey, and then someone was dumbfounded about how Mickey knew what he knew.

During the middle I felt some frustration about a good guy being framed plus threats to kill his daughter. It’s not a good plot device for me when there is too much of a “helpless” feeling. So there was some negative due to the helplessness. Of course by the end he pulled out of it which made it better for me.

(view spoiler)

STORY BRIEF:
It’s told in first person by criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller. Louis is charged with beating a woman. Louis hires Mickey to defend him which is the main plot for this story. Some side stories include a prostitute who Mickey represents for free each time she’s in trouble, and Jesus who Mickey defended two years earlier. Mickey has a great private investigator working for him. Mickey has interesting relationships with his two ex-wives: Maggie a prosecutor and Lorna his secretary.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook length: 11 hrs and 39 mins. Narrator: Adam Grupper. Swearing language: none that I recall. Sexual content: none. Setting: 2005 mostly Los Angeles area, California. Book Copyright: 2005. Genre: legal mystery suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.