Lissa's Reviews > Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 05 to 13, 2012

Most of my friends rated this book one star, and some friends even have it on shelves to avoid... but there's just something about it that I really enjoyed...

Although Laurel is a TERRIBLE heroine, and I went into this book with quite low expectations (see my 'morbid curiosity shelf, reserved for books I have heard terrible things about but still have a desire to read) and the only reason I picked it up was because I saw it on the shelf in my local library... I actually enjoyed the book.

Aprilynne Pike first turned me off reading ‘Wings’ when she blurbed Kiersten White’s Paranormalcy basically saying that she preferred the rapey stalker to the nice boy in that book’s love triangle – probably because he was a ‘hot’ faerie – and I stayed away from this book for years. I’ve put books down because of who blurbed them, and I’ve picked books up due to blurbs from authors I trust. Although Stephenie Meyer is a friend of Pike’s (and I hear recommended her to her own superstar agent) and I’m not a huge Meyer fan, I do actually trust her taste in paranormal romance – she did, after all, write only the most popular paranormal romance ever which, it mostly seems, too many other PNRs try to emulate. One of the things that drew me to Wings was the idea of the girl being the monster, not the boy. I was already reading Hereafter, although that was starting to grate on me, so I picked up Wings…

…and promptly read about half of it in one sitting.

It was very addictive. Although Laurel’s a despicable heroine – she’s perfect in every way, clearly has anorexia although no one thinks it’s out of the ordinary, compares herself favourably to supermodels and is generally more beautiful, graceful, and smarter and more modest than everyone else – she’s also incredibly judgemental, which totally annoyed the crap out of me. When Laurel meets a new boy and notices his straight teeth, she immediately assumes he’s had braces, even though she runs her tongue over her own 'naturally straight teeth’. If hers are so perfect, why can’t anyone else’s be natural? She meets a boy with brilliant green eyes and immediately assumes he’s wearing contact lenses. And even though Laurel is a perfect fragile princess whom everyone adores, she’s still self-conscious enough to want to hide away even though she clearly has nothing to hide.

(view spoiler)

Laurel’s blossom didn’t seem to last for a very long part of the book. Most of the plot up until now was very solid – and the writing was for the most part more than bearable – (view spoiler)So that was weird.

One of the other things I liked was that the romance developed by trying to figure out what the heck Laurel was, and the villain wasn’t just tacked on in the last quarter of the book to create a climax. It was woven all the way through (view spoiler) As if Laurel wasn’t perfect enough.

I think Laurel could have redeemed herself just a bit with me if she’d been able to defeat the bad guy herself. In the end she couldn’t even do that and even though she’s the monster of the book, she still had to be rescued. My inner feminist fumes. It appears in PNR that no matter if the girl is the human or the monster, she’ll still need to be rescued. I know, I know – I need to switch genres if I want to read about girls who can actually look after themselves – but still.

Overall the writing wasn’t perfect but it was easy to read, and I was in a relatively good mood when I read the book so I just laughed at all the stupid stuff instead of getting all knotted up and ranting and raving like I did about Hush, Hush. I think out of all the hyped PNRs I’ve read, Wings has the strongest plot, and Laurel is not as bad as Nora and not as stupid as Luce, and more capable than Bella. It’s not the best book I’ve read and I still hate Laurel – not because she’s a perfect Mary Sue but because she’s so damned judgemental and convinced no one could even be as perfect as her and I totally don’t buy her whole ‘I hate being the centre of attention’ thing. However, I enjoyed it enough to want to read the other books in the trilogy and I’m not even dreading it. Pike doesn’t need ‘another chance’ with me – I like her writing, if not her heroine.

It’s entertaining fluff and if you like PNR you’ll most probably like this. If you’re not a huge fan of PNR, then this will probably be hit or miss – it just happened to tickle my fancy at the time.

Happy reading!
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.

03/08/2012 page 306
85.0% "I'm enjoying it. Laurel is an incredibly unlikeable heroine (very judgemental, but not as bad as Nora and not as stupid as Luce, and more capable than Bella), but the plot is rock solid and the writing is very good. I'm pleasantly surprised and I plan on reading the rest of the trilogy." 2 comments

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I tried to read this book but the writing is just god awful for me! I hope you do have better luck than me.

message 2: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I'm finding it easy to read but I don't like it very much. Laurel is a very unlikeable heroine. The only thing it has going in its favour at the moment is the fact that Laurel's the 'monster'.

Kelly It was about three stars for me too. There were a lot of things that annoyed me, but like you, I found that the pages kept turning anyway.

message 4: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Yeah there's just something about it!

Kelly And to be honest, I thought the "fairies=plants" thing was fairly clever and not something that had been done to death.

message 6: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa She definitely gets bonus points for originality.

KJ Shadows I gave it 2.5 stars even though technically the plotline sucked for me and i didnt really like it that much. Tanami and the whole flower growing thing just cracked me up the whole time. Its the only thing that really saved it :) definately original idea (for the flower atleast) that i might just try the sequel someday

message 8: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I seriously didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I recognise how stupid it is and I really shouldn't like it (based on other books I've been warned about), especialy as Aprillynne Pike first got my attention by saying she preferred the rapey stalking faerie in Paranormalcy... but there's something about it I really enjoy. I'm going to finish the series.

Penelope
"... she’s actually nineteen, not fifteen, so she has a bonus instant age of consent!"

And this is why I love reading your reviews. :D

message 10: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Thank you, Penelope!