Annalisa's Reviews > The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes

The Peacegiver by James L. Ferrell

542037
Mar 26, 08

bookshelves: religion-philosophy, book-club, non-fiction
Recommended to Annalisa by: bookclub
Read in March, 2007

Good, insightful, thought-provoking. But in trying to drag out the lesson in order for you learn the most from it, the book would become slow and repetitive. More often than not I would forget the point and remember the dragging on. So the book could have been at least half its size and more impactful, but nonetheless a good read.

While I am not a big fan of over-explaining, or in this case spending more time saying you are going to explain than explaining (the book could have been half as long), the book struck a chord with me because of my thoughts on pride. The points of the book that I had not considered before were these:

* Because Christ atones for others' sins, he takes on not only their pain but the pain they inflict. So when we feel victimized, if we come to Christ and see the Savior as paying for their sins, we offer forgiveness to a perfect being and can give up our right to seek justice more easily.

* The parable of the workers in the vineyard receiving the full wage no matter how long they had been there, not only applies to the amount of time we endure to the end, but also our amount of sin. If we see ourselves better than those who have sinned more than us and therefore deserving of a better reward, we deserve less because we are not willing to give mercy and forgiveness to all.

* Sin is addictive. The more we sin, the easier it is, the more me give up our agency. It is sin that makes us aware of others' sins. When we sin against someone, in our own discomfort, it is easier to accuse that person of wrong-doing and be unforgiving. If we were perfect, we would be more merciful and loving.

There were also some great reminders of offering mercy and forgiveness to everyone, judge least ye be not judged, giving unconditional love despite whether we receive in back, and fully understanding the awesome healing power of the atonement. I would recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peacegiver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

amy gretchen I completely agree. It seemed like he kept making the same point over and over and it too away from the impact. It was a good read though and taught me a lot about the atonement.