Akeisa Abercrombie's Reviews > Ain't No Sunshine

Ain't No Sunshine by Leslie DuBois

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: favorites, historical, inspirational, interracial-romance, romance, sociology
Read from July 21 to 22, 2011

First off let me say I was really shocked to see that this book was free at Barnes and Nobles. Second, this by far is some of the best writing I have ever read. It took me two days to read this book. I started it late in the evening and probably would have finished it, but I was just too tired. However I did wake up fairly early because i was so curious to know what would happen. Two hours later I was done and just was in complete and utter shock! Even hours after finishing it, I still was in shock. I just could not believe the ending. I was mad at the author for lying, but at the same time impressed with how well she was able to fool her readers.
Now about the actual story. I love interracial romances, their absolute favorite. This story is most definitely the most interesting. The love that Stephen and Ruthie have each other is so genuine, it made me so mad when Theodore ruins it. Having to deny the feelings that you have had all your life is complete torture. It was so painful to read, but still as a reader I stayed hopeful that everything would work okay. And in a way it did.
There was a particular line in the book that Stephen says that really sparked something in me. He says, "The truth did not set us free, my lies did." For some reason I thought about that line a lot. We always say the truth will set you free, but does it really set you free. Do we always have to do what is morally right? For Stephen and Ruthie the truth would leave them miserable and unhappy. Whereas the lies would give them each other and future together. So, does the truth really set us free?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ain't No Sunshine.

07/21/2011