Fani loves angst's Reviews > Craving Perfect

Craving Perfect by Liz Fichera

Jul 21, 2011

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, chick-lit, emotional, humorous-witty, drama
Read in August, 2011

I read this in one day, and thoroughly enjoyed it! When I read the premise, it kind of reminded me of the movie 'Sliding Doors' with Gwyneth Paltrow but also of the book Be Careful What You Wish For -which I both like- and I knew I had to read it. We see the heroine in her two lives, the one she's actually living and the one she -and many women out there- crave for. But is what we crave for actually as perfect as we think it is?

Grace is overweight (not a lot it seems but she seems to find herself fat) and usually ignored by everyone, including Max, the hot guy in the gym. Max in fact, has not only noticed her, but has also noted her interest of him and is laughing at her expense. The one who's not laughing at all, is Carlos, the gym janitor whom Grace completely ignores until the moment she falls off the stairs-machine and he helps her get up. Carlos is a very sweet guy, but at first Grace is too stuck on stupid Max to pay any notice. She's also having some problems with her sister, who's running the Desert Java cafe with her, but her sister won't talk to her about it. At these strained times, Grace one day in the gym, tries on the new treadmill, only to find herself transported to another woman's life: Callie Collins, the famous, beautiful, rich and of course super thin weather girl, who's also engaged to Max! At first it feels as if she's in paradise, but soon it appears that this life is not exactly 'perfect' either.

I admit, I only opened this book to take a peek, and was captivated by the beautiful, witty writting that made me not want to put it down. I loved the prose: witty, humorous at times, emotional as Grace and Elena talk about their families, self-sarcastic at others, it changed tone but always kept a steady pace and rythm. It felt to me exactly as real life is: sometimes humorous, sometimes sad, not just one or the other. I also liked Grace a lot, even if she was a little paranoid with her weight. I guess I can even understand her at some point, because gaining 15 pounds after my children's births, I sometimes feel chubby myself even if I know logically that 15 pounds is not that much of a deal. Still, that feeling won't go away, no matter how much logic I try to apply:) Well, enough for me, back to the book!

Carlos was also a sweet character, even if a little too perfect to be true, but I liked the fact that from their first date, Grace really acknowledged this, instead of staying 'loyal' to her fixation to Max. I also liked Grace's sister; even if her role was small, she was in no way a one-dimensional too-good or too-bad caricature. The only thing that somewhat grated at me, is the easiness with which Carlos mostly, and then Grace, fell in love. It was just too fast to be true IMO.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed this book, as you can see. I think it's perfect for a beach read, or a quite Sunday afternoon for fans of chick lit, since it's fun and enjoyable and still, not too superficial. But if you're looking for contemporary romance, this isn't it.

ARC provided by NetGalley
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Craving Perfect.