Fani's Reviews > Lethal

Lethal by Sandra Brown

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, hero-is-cold-or-rough, abduction-amnesia, as-alpha-as-it-gets, 3-half-stars, emotional, hero-is-a-recluse, miss-perfect, lust-is-synonym-for-love, mystery-suspense
Recommended to Fani by: Danielle
Read from February 13 to 19, 2012

As a mystery/suspense, this was a very nice, fast paced and engaging book. As for the romance though, it did not take the back seat, instead it hid inside the trunk under lock and key, until the final 1/5 of the book. Coburn is supposed to be one scary kind of guy, the armed and dangerous type that I usually love. Indeed, he stays so true to his role that I don't feel we ever get to see the real man beyond the tough facade. And that's what's making this romance so unbelievable to me: what on earth despite his good looks and virility did Honor see to him to make her fall in love with him? Except if it was the 2 years' abstinence of sex and not her heart speaking (which I strongly suspect was the case).

In short, if you're looking for an exciting, non-stop action filled suspense, with a few crumbs of romance thrown for good measure, this is a book you'll love. If you're on the lookout for something with stronger romantic elements, this book won't deliver. And in both cases, the ending leaves much to be desired.

PS: Reading these lines in Lethal
-"But I'm not a hearts and flowers guy. I'm not even an all-night guy. I don't hold hands. I don't cuddle..." He paused, swore. "I don't do any of that stuff."
reminded me strongly of these from Megamind which I watched yesterday:
-"I'm the bad guy! I don't save the day, I don't fly off into the sunset, and I don't get the girl!"
I wonder if anyone else gets the same vibe...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lethal.

02/15/2012
25.0% 6 comments
02/18/2012
50.0% "Keeping the adrenaline high but on the romance level not much is happening:("
02/19/2012
75.0% "I have a couple of theories about the bad guy... Let's see if I guessed right:) Still no romance though."
02/19/2012
100.0% "WTF ending is this supposed to be?????" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine The quote comparison to Megamind made me laugh. I am so tired of picking up an RS and have is be all "S" with barely any "R." I've ran into quite a few of those lately.

message 2: by Fani (last edited Feb 19, 2012 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fani Love that movie Catherine and this quote in particular!

I know how that feels. I read a few RS myself lately, almost all of them lacking in the R dept, and though some had enough S to keep me enthralled anyway, this wasn't one of them. I mean, I wasn't bored or anything, but there was barely any heat between them.

I'm looking forward to a strong, passionate romance right now to get things straight:)

Catherine Fani wrote: "Love that movie Catherine and this quote in particular!

Good luck! I'm hoping to find the same with my next read. :)

Fani Good luck to you too Catherine!

@Mary Elizabeth: just to be clear, it wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't a romance. If it's a romance you want to read, this is not it, else it's pretty good.

Jill Ouch Fani, I loved this one. But yes, it's heavily romantic SUSPENSE. Which most of SB's are now.

Keri I loved it as well. Didn't love the ending, but loved the book. Fani, have you read some of her older stuff Fani? She was more geared toward romance in the late 80s and early 90s.

Anne OK I'm in the "loved" column as well. It definitely leaned more towards "suspense" but the romance element is there and fits, in my opinion, with the characters and storyline. Although not exactly the ending I would prefer, this one didn't upset me as much as it did other readers. I just added several additional pages in my mind and everything turned out just fine!

message 8: by Fani (last edited Feb 19, 2012 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fani Well, I see I'm in the minority here:) I have read and loved many books by Sandra Brown and some were quite recent like Play Dirty and Smoke Screen (my favorite remains Mirror Image though). I liked those two very much and they definitely were romantic suspense.

In Lethal, I think that because I didn't even feel the chemistry between the hero and heroine, it felt as if it was simple suspense. Nothing 'romantic' about it except a sex scene or two. And I did feel that the hero was too much of a black box till the end for the reader and the heroine to get to care about him. I guess their chemistry didn't work for me but it obviously worked for others, so maybe I was not in the right mood or had misplaced expectations or something... It was not a bad book, I actually enjoyed it a lot, I just felt a bit cheated from the romance, that's all.

Jill <<(my favorite remains Mirror Image though)>>
My favourite of SB's as well. Also love the other two you mentioned PD and SS which I'm always surprised others don't seem to love.

Have you read her early novels Fani? I'm not particularly fond of them - too dated for me. But others seem to love the straight romance.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Fani! That's the "problem" with Sandra Brown books: great suspense but they're lacking in the romance/steam department...
I have read many of her earlier novels. I liked them but I think I wouldn't read them anymore.