Jennifer's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: first-read-in-adulthood, mildly-diverting, on-loan, recommended, young-adult
Recommended for: 12-16 year old fans of artemis fowl & lemony snicket
Read in July, 2011

i enjoyed this book quite a bit, though maybe not as much as i liked the first one. this one is a solid 3 stars. it's cute and fluffy, but it has moments where the author hints at deeper thinking. the book itself is fast paced, has a lot of action and clever asides. the one thing that tends to get to me after a while is the main character's need to show you that he's a liar or a bad guy - after a while, it gets kind of tedious. (a sort of "thank you, we GET it already.") however, when he starts talking like that, there's usually an interesting sort of aside or thought that comes with it.

the books are very much in the vein of artemis fowl to me - lots of adventure, excitement and a few "huh" moments thrown in. recommended for young adults or those that love young adult books. a very quick read - i was through it in about two hours, tops.

(note: i think my review of the book also suffered because of the cover art. i know that you're not supposed to judge a book by the cover, but every time i looked at it, i got this weird mighty morphin' power rangers vibe from it. plus it really doesn't have much to do with the story. i mean, it does, but not in space.)

just read it. you'll see. (but i'm right, aren't i?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones.