Jennifer (Books That Spark)'s Reviews > Quest of the Demon

Quest of the Demon by M.L. Sawyer

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, arc-ebook-read
Read from July 21 to October 27, 2011

Quest of the Demon follows the adventures of Darci, a typical teenager whose life is turned upside down when she is accidentally transported to a new world named ‘Nahaba’ by the wizard apprentice Taslessian. Eager to return home to those she loves, Darci with the aid of Taslessian, sets out to the cave of Grisham the Great who might be able to send her home. However, upon arrival, Darci learns she’s been brought to this new world for a reason and that reason is to save it. So the Quest of the Demon begins...

Quest of the Demon was an action-packed read which successfully captured my attention. Sawyer provides amazing descriptions that allow you to imagine the world of ‘Nahaba’ beautifully. It was especially interesting to read about the different creatures that belong to this world. The plot line was original which I believe has allowed Sawyer to produce a book that is alike to no other on the market right now. It was really refreshing to read a new take on the very popular fantasy genre.

Above all, my favourite aspect to this book was the characterisation. Darci, the protagonist, was easy to relate to. She was your typical teenage girl who has been put in an unfortunate situation. As well as Darci and Taslessian, there were three more main characters. All of which were well developed to the point where I found I actually cared a lot for them, which for me is a rare thing. Each of the characters Sawyer created was unique and compelling in their own way.
The only negative point I can make about this book is that there wasn’t an awful lot of dialogue. The great descriptions make up for this though but I would have like a bit more conversation between the characters. The ending was perfect; I didn’t see it coming at all! It leads perfectly into a subsequent book which I’m very eager to read. A definite must-read for young adults – it has something for everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quest of the Demon.