Jennifer Lee's Reviews > Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: beautiful, books-i-lurved, dystopian, favorites
Read from January 21 to 27, 2012

Scott Westerfeld you are a genius. I absolutely LOVE, ADORE, WANT TO HAVE BABIES OUT OF WEDLOCK, with this series.

Yes, this gif IS relivent to the story in a sense.
Photobucket

Aya Fuse is a breath of fresh air. She's fun and entertaining. The world that she lives in is crazy, but sooo interesting. It was so well descripted I could imagine it perfectly in my mind, and let me tell you, I sort of want to live there. Hiro and Ren are great characters as well, and Fizz is adorable. I love how he couldn't lie because of his Radical Honesty surge, it made for some interesting and sometimes comical situations.

Aya Fuse lives in a city that is controlled by reputation. The more famous you are, the more luxurious your lifestyle is. Most people live by the Feed which tells you your face rank and where you can see all kinds of stories. The main goal is to become someone, and not an extra. Aya is a Kicker (which in our terminology is a reporter kind of), she tries to find and kick stories that will make her famous one day. She discoveres a clique of girls called the Sly Girls who live outside of the norm. The do really crazy tricks, but in secret because they don't want to be famous-making. Aya can't understand this as her whole life all she has ever wanted was to be famous and be see and known. She goes all incognito and infiltrates their clique and makes them believe she's one of them, all the while filming them.

In the end, the girls stumble upon a hidden hollowed out place in a mountain storing shit ton of metal (which is in shortage). And here begins the mysteries and all that awesome stuff. I don't want to get into much because I don't want to give it away, but let me just say that the ending did surprise me.

I'm one of those people that liked the fact that Tally didn't throw herself at David at the end of Specials. Zane had just died, and she was very much in love with him. I thought it was very real in that sense. The reason I bring this up is because Tally returns in Extras and she's still as badass as ever. My god if I could marry a fictional character, it would have to be her. You know, if I was a lesbian and into hardcore moody bitches. She's is the definition of HARDCORE and I love her to bits. (view spoiler)

You get to see Shay and Fausto again as well, and their awesome characters as well, so I was so freaking excited about that. All in all, this is a WONDERFUL series and you all must read it. Like right now. Go, read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extras.