Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > The Emerald Atlas

The Emerald Atlas by John  Stephens

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: addicted-to-ya, family-listening, kids, read-in-2011, what-a-creeper, audiobooks
Read from July 07 to 09, 2011

I listened to this on audio and I can truly say that Jim Dale is amazing. I am pretty sure he could make instructions sound good. Do you like that? I thought I'd switch it up from the usual “phonebook” comparison. I think it turned out quite well. I liked the way Jim Dale brought to life the people in the book. You could really believe how much of a raging psycho the Countess really was. And the Secretary's creepiness was spot on. I don't know if I would have liked it as much if I had read it. It's just the way he reads, it draws you in. Of course, the story helps too!

I thought it was good and interesting, but I don't think I will be reading the next book in the series. I think I would have liked it better as a standalone. I do like that even though there will be more books, this particular storyline was finished in this book. You don't have to wait until book three to see the finale to book one. I hate when they do stuff like that. I think the first part of the book, when they are talking about them being in orphanages could have been shortened. I think the point could've been made without all the fluff.

I love the strong bond that Kate, Emma, and Micheal had. They took up for one another, even when things got tough. They love each other, but they still acted like siblings. They bickered and laughed at each other. But when things got tough they thought of their siblings first, then themselves. It was nice and reinforces the brother sister sister bond. It's full of adventure and time travel. The baddies are creepy.

It can get kind of creepy and scary, so it might be better for ages 9 on up. It has funny parts and sibling bickering so they'll probably like it! The dwarves were some of my favorite characters. It's not a story that can be breezed through. I wouldn't call it complex, but it's not “light” either. Probably not a great read-aloud book, but good to read by yourself. Instead of reading out loud, I'd recommend getting the audiobook.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald Atlas.