Crystal (Kris)'s Reviews > The Iron Knight

Aug 15, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, books-reviewed, review-copy
Read on July 31, 2011

Review copied from original post at Imaginary Reads

The Iron Queen left us with a sense of despair when Meghan Chase took her place as the Iron Queen and banished her one true love from her court to save his life. Now, Ash returns to fulfill his vow to Meghan and find a way for him to stay with her… he returns to win himself a mortal soul. In order to do this, Ash must travel to the End of the World and be the first to pass the multiple challenges set his way.

Looking at Ash through Meghan’s eyes, he seems to be a calm, collected man who rarely lets slip the mask he wears, the one of a Winter prince. While the past books have hinted that there is more to him, The Iron Knight gives us a glimpse into the man behind his mask, and we see Ash for who he really is: an insecure man with centuries of burdens weighing on his shoulders. He worries that he isn’t strong enough for Meghan, he regrets his long feud with his best friend, and he mourns Ariella’s untimely death.

I trusted Ash to overcome any physical obstacles that would come this way. What I wanted to know was if Ash’s love could overcome its own obstacles, and Kagawa brought out the big guns for this. Time after time, even before reaching the End of the World, Ash’s love for Meghan is tested. And once you think Ash’s heart has won, there are bigger challenges awaiting him at the final destination of his journey.

If I thought I loved the Winter prince, I love the man inside even more. He wears a cool demeanor on the outside, but he has the potential to have one of the warmest, most loving souls out there, if he can only overcome his past. Kagawa gives us insight into his potential life as a human with Meghan besides him, and it’s bittersweet with all that it represents. It’s hard to believe, but this is the end of our journey with Meghan and Ash. I’m going to miss them.

And Grim. He’s the cattiest of all cats. Hard as it is to believe, I’ll miss “Wolf Man,” as well. I grew rather fond of him over the course of Ash’s journey. I can’t forget Puck’s sense of humor. That’s impossible not to miss. I’ve always been jealous of Meghan for having him as a best friend. As for the seer, the seer was a necessity to this story, though it doesn’t mean I liked the conflicts the seer caused for Ash. Without the seer, Ash couldn’t have made it to the End of the World, and he wouldn’t have been able to put his past behind. After all, that is the job of a seer—to point the path to the future.

Julie Kagawa brings the Iron Fey series to a stunning conclusion in The Iron Knight. Ash’s love for Meghan will be tested in a manner that has the potential to stir doubts in even his most devout fans. Julie had me captivated and falling more in love with the Iron Knight with every page. The Iron Knight is a book for re-reading. I recommend it to those of you who love everything to do with the fey, to those of you who love magical adventures, and most of all to those of you who love romance stories, because this is one that puts the truest of hearts to the test.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.