Johnjbrantley's Reviews > Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia

Thousand Plateaus by Gilles Deleuze

M_50x66
Jan 05, 09

Read in January, 2009

Anyone who has touched this book will probably attest to its strangeness and difficulty. I went through this phase when I was really excited to figure out exactly what the authors had to say. I am not sure I ever got there, but I understood a good bit and then let go of it for a while.

Sometimes, with intellectual issues, it seems that the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place, or should have been asked differently. What's cool about this book is that the authors take full control of their intellectual model, creating a network of concepts and relationships that may or may not resemble anything anyone has ever encountered before. It is a creative work, and (if you can understand it well enough) might serve as a viable intellectual model. The authors embrace philosophy as a flexible enterprise, not as rigid, academic discipline, and - for what it's worth - would probably look approvingly upon a rigorous creative effort to match their own.

One of the book's most notable qualities - an open embrace of associate thinking at a fundamental level - is responsible for its ability to be fun, creative, and global but may also be a sort of fatal flaw in places. There are a lot of alogical leaps, which were almost always exciting, often very insightful, and occassionally suspect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thousand Plateaus.