Karschtl's Reviews > Black and Blue

Black and Blue by Ian Rankin

Mar 26, 08

bookshelves: bc, part_of_series, darkish, read-in-2006
Read in January, 2006

Several cases occupy Rebus' mind, and somehow they all have to do with one another. But he doesn't know that yet.
It was not so hard to keep the several cases apart, but with all the traveling Rebus does it was difficult for me to keep track of which policemen comes from which city and what is he doing exactly and is he a friend of Rebus or not. Too many names for me.

In the beginning of the book Rebus describes a lot of his 'feelings' or moods with a song title. I liked this stylistic device, but in the second part of the book he suddenly stops doing this. I can't see why this break of habit...

Although the book is quite long - 500 pages - the writing is in telegram-style. Short sentences, very concise, especially in the dialoges. Often only phrases instead of sentences, which makes it more realistic because in reality people often talk in phrases also and not in correct grammatical sentences. However, for me as a non-native some phrases and idioms were new to me, but I got the overall meaning nevertheless.

The story itself was suspenseful. However, the ending left me unsatisfied. I don't want to give away to much of the story, so I just say: Rebus can not catch all of the suspect, the last one slips away after he can finally make out who it is he is looking for. But maybe Rankin thought it is boring if all the criminals get caught in the end.
One more thing I thought a bit odd: whenever there is the mentioning of a certain person (daughter=young girl, person with initial H., employee at certain firm...) Rebus knows exactly one person who fits this descreption and amazingly this is just the right person. As if there are no other people around who would also fit the description. What coincidences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black and Blue.