Karen's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: bleak-situation, bored-out-of-my-wits, meh, to-be-shitted-on, did-you-plagairize, endless-plot-searching, fail, i-suffered-feel-sorry-for-me, wtf-just-happened
Recommended to Karen by: Can't remember
Recommended for: People looking for something to pass the time
Read from September 19 to October 22, 2011, read count: 1, and not planning to reread

Ummm... Semi-spoiler alert (is there even such a thing)?

I haven’t written a review in a long time, so forgive me if I seem out of touch.

[image error]
Let’s get started shall we?

In my opinion, the only thing worse than a horrible book, is a boring book. A book that you cannot get through without an alarmingly large number of yawns and breaks to get your daily required fix of entertainment (that the book failed to provide). Reading this book was like a chore. I didn’t enjoy it, I didn’t like it and I didn’t find it the least bit interesting. It got to the point where I was making faces at myself in the mirror out of boredom.

[image error]
Not kidding.

Matched was insipid in every sense. The plot was anti-climatic and had no general direction, the characters were all dull and lifeless, the writing was nowhere near poetic, and the book itself was ripped off from the “Giver” (which many people before me have mentioned).

Scores out of 10

Cover: 7
Originality/ Creativity: 3
Entertainment factor: 2
Plot: 3
Characters :3
Prose/ General Writing: 5

Now, let’s start with the:

Plot

Cassia lives in a dystopian world where marriages are arranged, because somehow, the people in charge have been able to find other peoples’ soul mates by plugging in information into a computer. Does anyone find this as improbable and ridiculous as I do? Nothing and no one can predict human nature, especially not unfeeling machines. The author attempts to convince us that they can, but instead, leaves a neatly hidden plot hole.

For example, let’s look at the logic in this situation.
For her Matching event (or whatever it’s called), Cassia chose to wear a green dress. According to the society:

“That’s the one you were most likely to pick,” she said. “Your personal data indicated it, and so did general psychology. You’ve picked things outside of the majority in the past.”

Okay, what?
WTF-!.gif Pictures, Images and Photos

From this, we can conclude that Cassia is listed as “picks things outside of the majority”. Picking things outside of the majority has to do with personal taste, and not just for the sake of being different. Cassia doesn’t know what the rest of the girls have picked, so how can she choose the dress that it outside of the majority?

Exactly. She can’t. In real life, it would only be a matter of time before she picks something that corresponds with everyone else’s choice. It is not possible to be outside of the majority every single time, unless information has been provided beforehand (which in this case, has not). Therefore, the author’s claim is not valid unless Cassia knew of everyone else’s choices before she made her own.
If you pay close attention, you can find lots of small details that don’t really make sense.

Also, as many other have pointed out before me, the concept of being matched means that there cannot be any homosexual people. I find the author’s discrimination offensive.

Continuing with the plot, the entire story can be condensed into one sentence.

"Ky shows up on Cassia’s microchip and therefore Cassia endangers her life and the life of everyone around her to be with him."
She has barely talked to him, yet when his picture shows up, she’s suddenly all excited to know him and kiss/stalk/cuddle. 300 pages are all about Cassia trying to talk to Ky (and failing miserably most of the time).

Cassia disregards Xander’s feelings and just runs off. Not that Xander is much to begin with, but it was incredibly selfish and stupid of Cassia to do such a thing. She’s the epitome of selfishness. Cassia is actually warned by the society to stop doing whatever she’s doing with Ky, but she ignores them even though they threatened her family. As for Ky, I have no idea why he likes Cassia and why Cassia likes him. Their relationship doesn’t develop overtime, and their whole relationship is based on “special looks filled with meaning” that are exchanged between them. Speaking of Ky, I have absolutely no idea why he’s shunned out of the community. I remember some explanatory paragraph, but it made absolutely no sense to me. Just like many other things in the book didn’t make sense to me.

Also, I have heard many people compare this book to “The Giver”, but I didn’t start really seeing the similarities until the last hundred pages. Although I wouldn’t call it plagiarism, the author’s lack of creativity is disappointing.

Umm… great job for at least attempting to come up with an original plot…

Finally, the writing. It was extremely bland and average. The author made no attempts to make the prose beautiful or appealing in any way to the reader. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either. It’s right there on the mediocre line; just good enough to pass inspection, but that doesn’t mean that the reader will enjoy it. It could have been much better if the author put more work and effort into it.

To answer the unasked question…

Will I be reading the next one?

Well…

Ummm…

WTF? Pictures, Images and Photos
Nah, kidding.

Maybe?

Probably not.
44 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

09/20/2011 "It's taking all my willpower not to open this book and plunge into it headfirst. Okay, that's a lie... I peeked!"
10/05/2011 page 23
6.0% "WHUT?" 5 comments
10/22/2011 page 212
58.0% "SMH"

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Oh boy. Can't wait to read your review of this one. ;)

oceana Agreed.

Sadia I didn't like it either. Can't wait for the review!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ha, I also wasn't a huge fan. Kind of disappointing after all the hype. OOH REVIEW COMING SOON! *claps*

oceana But I want to read it soooo freaking bad. xD.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I am sad that you haven't reviewed this. :'(

message 12: by Rogier (new)

Rogier can't wait 2 hear your thoughts

Karen I'm so sorry Brigid, I haven't been writing reviews and reading much since Nano. I promise now that I'm done, that I'll have this review up within a week or two.

Really.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, it's okay. I'm a total hypocrite because I've only written like, three reviews since the school year started. Which is pretty pathetic for me. Anyway...

YAYYYY!

Karen Done with my review!

message 8: by Rogier (new)

Rogier Karen wrote: "Done with my review!"

loved it/your review

Karen Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

message 6: by Amber J. (last edited Dec 02, 2011 07:14PM) (new)

Amber J. Good review -- very informative...although I don't think the plot is completely ridiculous, because I know people who are happily married after meeting through eHarmony and Match.com, which basically works by plugging all your likes and dislikes and personality traits into a computer and pressing "Go find my mate!" or something lol, kind of like how it works in the Society.

And I don't understand why Cassia felt so compelled to find Ky either when she already had perfect Xander next door whom she already knew and was comfortable with, unlike Ky.

I won't be reading Crossed, but your mention of The Giver makes me want to go read that book; I've heard other people say Condie stole borrowed some ideas or the whole plot from it, so your confirmation means I have to put it on my "Need to Read ASAP" list.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* YAAAAYYY REVIEW. AND AN AWESOME REVIEW AS WELL.

I totally agree. I also found it to be pretty boring and unoriginal, and I probably won't read the second one. I didn't think of the homosexuality issue while I was reading the book, but I read another review (I don't remember whose) that pointed out the same thing. And yeahhh, that is rather offensive. :/ Of course, the author is a Mormon. SOOOOOO. Yeah.

message 4: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Ah, Miss Karen, your review is both intelligent and funny - I like the balance very much! Oh and I really can imagine you making that face in the mirror:D

Karen @ Amber

There are always going to be exceptions. I'm not saying that you can't find your perfect match using a computer, but there's no way you can guarantee it works every time.
I know exactly what you mean about Cassia and I completely agree. Glad you enjoyed my review!

PS You share the name of my Nano MC

@ Brigid

THANK YOU BRIGID! Now it's your turn to return the favor and read Abarat
There are a lot of reviews that mention the whole homosexuality thing and I felt that it was quite redundant when I added it to my own review. The author is a Mormon? That explains a lot.

@ Miss Shirley

Please, call me Karen :D
Unfortunately, I have not been able to make that particular face though it's not for lack of trying. I guess I'm just not gifted that way!

Thanks for reading!

Oh, and I just got a copy of "Fury", I can't wait to read it.

Zero vi Britannia Is it sad that I read this in one sitting at a bookstore?

Tracey Rice Horrible boring book. I. Had to take so many breaks from reading this book that the pages are almost all dog-eared. Not one moment of interesting writing even though it was highly publicized as one of the best written books of the year. What ever! Hated it...wish I never wasted time reading it.