J's Reviews > The Fourth Stall

The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: middle-school-fiction, mystery, realistic-fiction

Best friends since kindergarten, Mac and Vince are now 6th grade business tycoons, running their "service" from the fourth stall at school. They're saving up for very expensive tickets to the World Series, because this year the Cubs actually have a chance of making it. But someone is muscling in on their business and things quickly go from annoying to dangerous.

I can probably sell this to middle school boys, especially baseball fans. This is Rylander's first book for kids, and he has created a pretty engaging duo and scenario (this is headed for a series). I wish he's make the dialogue and plot more realistic, though. I mean, 6th grade boys don't say things like, "The notebooks detailing bets you took and other records that might prompt the authorities to look further into any other unsavory activities you might have going on." And when a skinny little 6th grader gets beaten up by 6 tough high schoolers, he doesn't just get a puffy face. There's humor, action and best friend guy pals, so in spite of its flaws it should do well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fourth Stall.