jmjester's Reviews > In Search of Mockingbird

In Search of Mockingbird by Loretta Ellsworth

Jul 13, 12

Read in March, 2010

I just read Mockingbird by Kathryn Esquire tonight and though I was reluctant to read it at first, I loved it. For those of you who haven't been paying attention, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book. Another new favorite of mine is In Search of Mockingbird by Loretta Ellsworth. The first and last make many references to the original novel. We'll read Lee's work later this school year. And while we'll certainly discuss theme and characterization and all of that good stuff, I hope you'll also learn to be better people by reading it.

Esquire's novel will help you to do that too. It's set in the present and is narrated by a girl with Asperger's syndrome whose brother was recently killed in a school shooting. It takes some of Lee's themes and puts them in a context we all know well - school and the bullies who inhabit them. Caitlin is an endearing character who helps us to see behind some students' behavior. It's also a really quick read while still being beautifully written. Read it and tell me what you think. Are there any other good books you can recommend that use bullying a a plot point? Tell us about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Mockingbird.