Mitch's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jul 21, 11

WOW! What a book!I am glad I finally read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I read this book with the beautiful backdrop of the rocky mountains while I was on vacation in Colorado for a wedding. That plus the amazing storyline and splendid chracters made me absolutely lovvveeeee this book!

This book is a story about women who live in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's. It is a time and place when white families hired black women as their "maids", but basically they were modern-day slaves. They endured abuse, endless chores, and raised the children of most of their' employers. But maids Minny and Aibileen want a change. With the help of friendly white aspiring writer Skeeter, they begin to write a tell-all book about the treatment black maids deal with and the horrible things the white women do.

These characters were so believable, and this story was so heartwarming with so many memorable moments (I will no longer ever look at a chocolate pie again without thinking of Minny Jackson!) this book is a MUST READ for EVERYBODY! I read the version with the movie cover because I am so excited for the film to be released! I hope it is just as good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.