Cara's Reviews > Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles

Bewitching by Alex Flinn

Jun 04, 14

bookshelves: 2012, fairy-tales
Read from March 14 to 19, 2012

I think I may have become a permanent fan of Alex Flinn. She seems to be concentrating her writing on fairy tale retellings, well me likey that.

For fans of Beastly thinking this is a book about Kendra the witch I'm here to tell that is only partly true. We get to know her better and see how she has gotten to where she is today, but unfortunately she is not the main focus of the story.

This time around Kendra is trying to help out a girl named Emma. She has a stepdad that she considers her real dad and an overbearing and critical mother. Emma is a smart normal girl, and feels everything is going ok till one day someone new comes to live in her home. A girl named Lisette that is Emma's age. Lisette is Emma's stepsister and her mother has died, so she has come to live with her biological father. The family dynamic is sure to change but for the better or worse is yet to be seen. Well I think you guys can guess which right?

The story starts out with how Kendra became a witch and in between little short stories of other fairy tales she had a hand in pop up. Though these are well written and on their own are great, I couldn't see a strong correlation between these short tales and the main story. They do present why Kendra has reservations on helping people, even though she wants to.

Emma's constant companion of doubt is normal for girls her age. They way teenagers can feel that they don't measure up to certain standards. Emma compares herself constantly to Lisette, and feels like she can never compete. She wants to be accepted by her peers, but she learns that comes at a price she won't be willing to make. I think that (for me) the strongest part of the book is Emma because she is so normal but figures out she does have talents to offer. She is someone that I think girls can relate to. And Lisette, my goodness she is a character. A complex one but she makes the story interesting.

I want to talk about Emma's mom because I know people will kind of hate her, and I can see why. But I want to point out that there are mothers who are like this. She does care about Emma and wants the best for her even though she doesn't always show it the right way. I think the ending is fitting but I felt it was just a tad too convenient. It would have felt more real if we had a little more time with it.

I urge readers who weren’t fans of Beastly to try this one. It feels different and shows some of Flinn’s range. Now please Ms. Flinn write a story about Kendra? I rooted for Emma and all, but there is so much to learn about Kendra the good witch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bewitching.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devyani (new) - added it

Devyani oh my ! i've actually been wanting to read this for a long time now ! would love to know how you're liking it :)

Cara I'll let you know!

message 3: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Looking forward to your review! :-D What are you going to read next?

Cara @Devyani-I just finished yesterday and I recommend it:)
@Sonia-I'm reading Lie now. Haven't heard much about it but it seems it could be interesting.

message 5: by Sonia (last edited Mar 20, 2012 08:44PM) (new)

Sonia I actually saw your marking Lie as currently reading right after I typed the comment. Ha

Cara Haha no harm done:)

message 7: by Devyani (new) - added it

Devyani i was just going through your review , looks promising :)
all i have to do now is read . Thanks anyhow and great review :)

Cara I know you commented ages ago but I didn't see till now! Sorry about that:( Anywho I hope you do pick it up and thank you:)

Serena great review; my thoughts exactly :D

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Thanks Serena:D

Alfie I agree with your review. I was disappointed that it was not about Kendra (seeing as the name and description is about her and her narrative). It's misleading and I'm quite peeved. The beginning was fantastic (I really like her darker narrative as it's much more believable and allot like beastly). But the story was still enjoyable past my disappointment. Not great (though perhaps that's part my peeveness speaking). I do think I will forgive her Alex Flinn if she writes a book about Kendra (one that actually about her).

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Hopefully Flinn does Alfie! It certainly would be a book that I would read:)