Ryan Rebel's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in July, 2011

I really enjoyed The Maze Runner. It was far from the best thing I've ever read, but it was a fun, creative story. I've also always liked mazes, and this is the kind of weird, trippy sci-fi idea that I get really into, so this was a book for me, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone.

For being an out there idea, the author did a good job of making things believable. I had a couple of questions and doubts that he successfully addressed later on in the story. He was also quite good at pacing. There were chapter breaks every 3-6 pages or so, and most ended with some sort of cliffhanger. I found these bite-sized bits of narrative to be gratifying and cohesive.

The suspense was good, and the surprises were frequent and, yes, surprising. I also very much enjoyed the dialogue. Some of the characters were genuinely likable, something that not every author is able to achieve. These kids were fun to read about.

Even though it is only the first book in a series, I did not feel cheated by the ending. I thought it was well-placed, and enough was given to close out the first story in a satisfying way, while still intriguing enough for the reader to want to continue. And I believe I shall, at some point down the line. It was good enough to continue, but not quite amazing enough for me to want to rush out and find the sequel right away.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.