Franklin's Reviews > From Hell

From Hell by Alan Moore

Jul 28, 11

Read from July 21 to 28, 2011

Well I've finished "From Hell." After hearing so many wonderful things about it I was disappointed to find out that it's really not that amazing. It falls into the category of books that are amazingly complete in an exhaustive way. The book spends many, many pages in hallucination-like tangents and excruciating historical detail of Masonic London. I understand that Alan Moore is a great writer, and I surely agree, but this story has a lot of extra stuff thrown into it to make his dream full; however, it is not the readers dream, but the authors. This is like an artist you love releases a double album set of songs that you can't wait to buy and realize you could have saved 10 bucks and gotten a much better record if they condensed it into one.

The drawing I found really frustrating. I think that a style such as this fits in certain places, but a 520+ page story is not one of them. I often wasn't sure if it was night time in the story or just shadowy, the characters were hard to differentiate between because of chickenscratched details that looked different every time. If this book had been drawn by one of Alan Moore's other coworkers and the fat was trimmed this would easily be 4, possibly 5 stars. I did find myself enjoying the read, and at times when I would put it down I picked it back up again because I wanted to know what would happen. The characters were interesting and the story very much so. I'd have to give this a solid 2 and 1/2 stars. The story was great, but too long, and hard to read because of the drawing style, but when the story was great it was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Hell.