Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream's Reviews > The Ocean

The Ocean by Mia Castile

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: 3-stars
Read in July, 2011

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE YA REVIEWS AT READING, EATING & DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF

The Ocean by Mia Castile is a great book for younger teens!!

I thought The Ocean was a good story but a little young for my taste. I read Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell the night before I read The Ocean and I found them similar in some ways. Both books are romance novels, both main characters are hesitant to let others in, both main characters deal with issues at home and both stories were about the main characters growth, mainly them allowing themselves to be loved. To be honest, Grounding Quinn was more my speed because it was geared for an older audience and I related to the story better. However, I think The Ocean by Mia Castile is a great story for younger teens, where Grounding Quinn may not be an appropriate novel for young teens (I am not a parent so it’s not my place to say what book is appropriate for whom.)

I enjoyed the first half of this novel very much, when Gianna and Travis where first getting to know each other. I thought their notes to each other were a true representation of dating and getting to know someone in high school. The notes made me feel connected to the characters, and I thought they were extremely sweet. (And in my experience it’s so true that sometimes it’s a lot easier to be completely honest and share more personal things on paper than face to face!) I really liked how Castile incorporated Travis & Gianna’s notes into the novel.

About halfway through this novel thing changed for me. Mainly, I lost my connection to the characters. (I didn’t understand their motivations and reactions anymore, maybe because the notes stopped. I’m not sure.) Also, this was when the novel started to get a little juvenile, especially the major conflict. (I just thought Gia made a bigger deal out of everything than what was warranted. And the characters should have just communicated with one another!) Regardless, I enjoyed the book and had a good time reading it.

I gave The Ocean by Mia Castile 3 STARS. I thought it was a cute story and I strongly recommend this book for younger teens.

READING, EATING & DREAMING
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean.