Kathryn's Reviews > Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink

Hope for Animals and Their World by Jane Goodall

Feb 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: annie-and-katie-bookclub, biographies, environmental, nature-animals, stalled
Read in February, 2012

Sigh, moving this to "stalled." Really enjoyed this for awhile but then it got a bit too repetitive, similar messages and methods but with different animals, and I lost interest. Too, I didn't like the segments as well when Goodall herself wasn't involved or doing the storytelling. BUT I definitely do want to revisit it sometime as there is some wonderful work being done and I like reading about it, I did love the Goodall segments (and she does have a majority of them), and I love the idea of the book, showing the "good news" in the endangered animal arena and how humans can be helpful, not just harmful, to animals and the environment. I think I just need to regard this as one to pick up from time to time, not a continuous cover-to-cover read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only one chapter in and dang it but so far, it's great. I've already gone all misty-eyed! ;-p Those cute little black footed ferrets just got me from the start and Goodall is so inspiring!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope for Animals and Their World.

08/09/2011 page 55
13.0% "fascinating thus far!"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann It's so embarrassing I had to pause during reading it so that I could swallow the lump in my throat!

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I love Jane Goodall! I've read all of her books except for this one; I'll look forward to your review and seeing whether I should bump it up in my TBR pile.

message 3: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Oh really? That so neat you've read all (save one) of her books, Melanie :) So far I'm already loving this one.

Do you have a favorite of all the ones you've read?

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Ann, I really loved "My Life With Chimpanzees." It's one of her earlier solo author books, and it's a nice blend of autobiography and science/nature for the non-scientist. I loved her more recent volume of autobiography through letters as well. Although come to think of it, I can't think of a single volume that I didn't like, so I'm happy to hear that this one that you and Kate are reading is so good! :)

message 5: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Thanks for the tips, Melanie! "My Life With Chimpanzees" does sound wonderful! I'll have to make sure it's on my TBR list :)

message 6: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 23, 2011 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathryn Melanie wrote: "Ann, I really loved "My Life With Chimpanzees." It's one of her earlier solo author books, and it's a nice blend of autobiography and science/nature for the non-scientist. I loved her more recent v..."

I really want to read that one, too, Melanie! I had forgotten (or didn't know) that you read all her other books. That's so cool! :-D By the way, not sure if you have any interest in reading picture books, but I just read a fabulous little one about her life that was so, so sweet and beautifully done. It includes some of her own illustrations she did when she was a little girl and showed her passion for animals and research began early on: Me . . . Jane ;-)

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie There's picture book about Jane Goodall?! How have I missed this? Now if only the library were still open... :)

Kathryn Melanie wrote: "There's picture book about Jane Goodall?! How have I missed this? Now if only the library were still open... :)"

I hope you can get a copy in your hands soon! ;-)