Flannery's Reviews > Singing the Dogstar Blues

Singing the Dogstar Blues by Alison Goodman

Aug 28, 2011

bookshelves: aussie-ya-is-the-cats-meow, i-want-to-go-to-there, read-in-2011, ya-space-quest-o-mine, young-adult-teen, tbr-scb-2011, wishlist-for-dtbs-to-keep
Recommended to Flannery by: Tatiana and Catie; Picked for TBR Challenge by Olivia (August)
Recommended for: YA sci-fi fans
Read from August 16 to 19, 2011 , read count: 1

I’m always on the lookout for a fun space-related story. Singing the Dogstar Blues isn’t set in space but there is a very futuristic feel to it and ALIENS so it definitely hit my sweet spot. If you are wondering if this book reads at all like Goodman’s other book Eon, the answer, at least for me, is absolutely not. I enjoyed Eon but the pacing was off and I wasn’t especially attached to any of the characters. That’s not the case here. Joss Aaronson attends a prestigious time-jumping school and holds one of 12 coveted spots in the program for her year. She is a comp, which basically means that her mother used a donor to have her and comps are looked down on as genetically manipulated because people can use up to even 5 or 6 donors to create the child of their choice. She is snarky, sassy, and unlike Eon/a, it doesn’t take her eras to figure out what is going on around her. Thank goodness for that.

Overall, the book has a bit of a campy and adventurous feel. The plot primarily revolves around Joss and her new school partner, Mavkel, the first alien to be admitted. As expected, there are enemies and allies in the school administration and amongst the students but Joss and Mavkel hold this entire story on their backs and they succeed in doing so. I couldn’t picture what Mavkel actually looked like but it didn’t hinder the character development. His personality came through even with a language barrier and extensive cultural differences. He and Joss bond over music and that is where the title of the book comes from.

There are hints that this was Goodman’s first novel—the writing definitely favors utility rather than description, for instance. Since this is what I prefer in my sci-fi, I was more than happy with the style. And Ms. Goodman actually surprised me with a plot twist near the end. (don’t click it unless you want it to be ruined) (view spoiler) I wish this book started a series so we could find out how Joss and Mavkel’s partnership continued to develop during their school years. As it is, I guess I will just have to hope that Alison Goodman writes some more sci-fi one of these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing the Dogstar Blues.

08/16/2011 page 42
08/18/2011 page 112
43.0% "I am enjoying this more than I did Eon. So much more. I was going to say it might be because I like sci-fi more than fantasy but I don't know..." 3 comments

Tatiana Finally!

Do you love it yet?

Flannery I'm super into it so far--it is my school in space!

Tatiana Yes! Time-travel school is almost as good as a school in space.

Tatiana I crave more stories about them so bad! There is a short in Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy, but that's it:(

Wendy Darling This sounds like a lot of fun. :) Adding it to my ever-teetering pile...

Catie You are on a ROLL this morning, Flannery. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book. The short story is great too!

message 7: by Lyndz (new)

Lyndz I might have to check this one out too!

message 8: by Cassy (new)

Cassy I clicked on the spoiler. I haven't read the book, but that is very funny! Nice review, Flannery!

oliviasbooks I think your copy is lost in the mail, Flannery. I think I'll buy one eventually.

oliviasbooks I've enjoyed it so much. Touched a lot of MY sweet spots, too. Thank you, Flannery, for your copy!!!!

Flannery I'm so glad to hear it, Olivia:)