Lena ♫ ♪ 's Reviews > Between

Between by Jessica Warman

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: arcs
Read in July, 2011

When I originally picked this up, I saw the release date and thought "Oh no, I need to read this soon". What I wasn't expecting was to find a novel so engaging and addicting to the point where I simply could not put it down. It's no joke- For fans of Before I Die and The Lovely Bones, you're in for quite a treat.

While Between does focus on the subject of love, there really isn't a lot of romance in it. It's more about a love a father has for his daughter, the love soulmates share, and the love people have for their friends. Betrayal, mystery, and intrigue play a huge role in this book as well. It's a bit predictable in some aspects, but let's be honest...if you're an avid reader, does anything really surprise you anymore? Point made? I think so.

Liz is your stereotypical mean girl and Queen Bee. She might not be the one making fun of others, but she doesn't stop her friends from doing it either. It's better to be a part of the clique than out of it, right? Liz's character did bother me at first. How can someone be so conceited and pretentious? As the story unfolds and Liz begins to witness more events from her past, she also becomes more human. The truth does not justify her actions, but she does become more likable.

Liz's love for Richie was so sweet and genuine yet completely heartbreaking (I'm sure you can see why). I just wanted to jump in the book and give each one of them a hug. True love torn so young and far too early. If that doesn't touch you, I don't know what will.

The copy I have of Between is a little less than 500 pages, thicker than most YA novels nowadays but well worth it. I'll admit, some of the bickering and cruelty became a bit annoying at times, but the ending alone is worth the time spent reading it. It's definitely a novel that will touch you and make your heart ache every time you think about it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.