May's Reviews > Across the Great Barrier

Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 20, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, steampunk
Read from July 18 to 20, 2012 , read count: 1

Eff is good and tired of all the attention she's getting from her part in saving the western settlements from the mirror bugs. Everyone thinks she's a fantastic magician who will do something great--even though she still struggles with her magic in school. Her brother, Lan, is jealous of the attention but wants her to go East for school with him. Eff's not sure what she wants, until she gets the chance to go West past the Great Barrier on a research trip. While she tries to figure out her magic, she helps with an amazing discovery and figuring out a strange, dangerous mystery.

Ahhh, I do love Patricia Wrede, and I do love Eff! Eff is such an interesting, totally different heroine. I couldn't get enough of her in the first book, I'm so glad there's more.

It was an interesting story, which stood alone well enough though it helps to have read the first book. It wasn't a fast-paced, tense story that kept you flipping pages, it was more of an intense look into Eff's character and world. Which I, personally, love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Great Barrier.