Elaine's Reviews > The Best Seat in the House: How I Woke Up One Tuesday and Was Paralyzed for Life

The Best Seat in the House by Allen Rucker

1419068
Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: ebooks

I avoid books like this. They are self-pitying or preachy or both. At least that's what I thought. I read too many inspirational stories in The Readers Digest when I was a kid. Why I even bothered to look inside this, I don't know--but I am glad I did.

There is no hint of the maudlin, no "why me" and no attributing this to a God Who taught him compassion or faith by visiting this affliction on him. Actually, Rucker never refers to his paralysis as an affliction, nor as a blessing in disguise. It is what it is. And he's stuck with it. No miracles are waiting in the wing, and that's it.

However, this is not gloomy in the least. The writing gallops along. not a word misplaced. Once I read a few pages. I was hooked, and read straight through to the end. This is an honest, candid story of this man's life anf an excellent read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Seat in the House.