Sam Quixote's Reviews > Mad Night, Featuring Judy Drood, Girl Detective

Mad Night, Featuring Judy Drood, Girl Detective by Richard Sala

Jul 21, 2011

it was ok

When you've got a college campus with lots of gothic structures and a bizarre faculty, is there any surprise when a series of grisly murders happen? Not if you're Judy Drood, super detective! Throw in some pirates, a brainwashing puppet, a creepy curator of a gothic museum, a weirdo who prints owl posters and puts them up around town, and about a dozen other nutcases, and you've got Richard Sala's longest book "Mad Night".

I chose "longest" to describe it because I found it to be quite a tedious read despite the many fantastical elements to it. If you've read Richard Sala then you'll notice a number of similarities between this work and his other novel length book "The Chuckling Whatsit", but if you've read more indie comics writers you'll notice the storyline of a killer on campus is similar to Daniel Clowes' "Art School Confidential" (more the film version than the comics). Judy Drood, the ass kicking, foul mouthed, short skirted heroine of the book is a badass version of Daphne from Scooby-Doo but she never incurs anything more than a scratch and escapes from every situation making her a less interesting character because we know she always survives.

The storyline is that a mad professor has found the secret to eternal youth and it involves taking the blood of young people and injecting it into themselves. The killings go on and on, the search for him goes on and on, and to be honest the writing wasn't all that great. I enjoy Sala's art but it doesn't make up for a lack of surprises or plot and though I usually enjoy this artist's work, I found myself waiting for it to end so I could put the book down. Disappointingly poor from such a talent as Sala's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad Night, Featuring Judy Drood, Girl Detective.