Sandy M's Reviews > Switch

Switch by Megan Hart

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, erotic, dnf

It’s been a long while since I’ve not finished a book. I usually stick with whatever I’m reading, good or bad, until done, but this time I’ve read half a dozen books since I put this one aside and I just can’t make myself pick it up again.

I’m getting ready to start Chapter 11, and I just don’t care anymore. I have no idea who the hero of this story is. Too much time is spent on issues in Paige’s life that just don’t make any difference to anything so far in the book. With most of it I was just plain bored. Shopping with Paige for a birthday gift for her stepmother, which the woman won’t like, and then going through the party itself lends nothing to the concept of this book. And there are other similar issues too. Getting to know Paige maybe? Fine, but I have to like the character first before I want to get to know her/him/them. There’s really nothing so far that makes me like Paige all that much.

Paige is in her mid 20s, lives alone, has a job she likes okay with a so-so boss. She goes out now and again for a night on the town with her best friend, who really turns out not to be that good of a friend after all. Their latest jaunt takes them to a local bar where Austin just happens to be. This is Paige’s ex.

She’s irritated that the friend told Austin where they were going, not wanting to be near him because of the way he treated her, but she ends up having sex with him anyway. He tries to tell her he’s changed, to give him another chance, but she won’t listen. Just heads home and life goes on as usual.

But the unusual that happens is bizarre notes are being inadvertently left in her mailbox, notes that make her think with the demands each one makes. And she’s starting to see and run into a new guy in her building. He doesn’t notice her for a while, that is until they finally have a few words at a neighborhood coffee house.

There’s other family issues and the like described in detail as they come along, but that’s it for eleven chapters. I figured the new guy is going to the hero after she leaves Austin behind, but still nothing of any substance has yet to happen because the man is hardly in the story at all. At this point I’m not even curious enough to keep reading to find out which man wins, nor am I curious enough to find out who the switch is and how Paige fares in being submissive.

The story just doesn’t grab a reader. It’s very slow. The characters aren’t all that interesting. The one sex scene in all those pages is good, enough to make me like Austin at that point. But that’s not enough.

Maybe I’m giving up too soon. Maybe in Chapter 11 things start to move in the book, things become more clear. I’ll never know.

See my complete review at http://www.goodbadandunread.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny It doesn't get better! Waste of time

Jessica Agreed!

Dutchess 2nd that!!

message 4: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Beatty Agreed

message 5: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa I'm on chapter 6 and I don't think I can read anymore. I bought it because the storyline was suppose to be about finding these letters and and doing what they asked. So far it's a minute part of the book- so disappointing!

Sandy M Don't continue, Lisa. Too many other good books out there to read! I'm always wary when I first decide not to finish a book and then write a review, not knowing how other folks will take it. It's very heartening to see others feel the same way and it wasn't just a bad day for me when I made that decision to stop reading. Put this one down and move on!