Sandy M's Reviews > I Love This Bar

I Love This Bar by Carolyn Brown

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, western

Sigh. I’m sorry to say that not much changed from Ms. Brown’s previous series and this one. The points of view changes are still front and center and very frustrating to read. You get used to it a little bit, but when it happens within a couple of paragraphs instead of a number of paragraphs, it’s hard to follow and just plain hard to read. In the first chapter there were 13 POV changes, at a very quick count. I was flippin’ all over the place, and I knew it wasn’t going to alter throughout the book, so I just had to grin and bear it.

Consistency is a tad of a problem too. An example: Jarod arrives home late one night. So he doesn’t disturb his ill uncle, he takes his boots off at the bottom of the stairs and treads up in his socks. Three paragraphs later has him taking his boots off in his bedroom.

I still have a problem with the dialogue of the characters in these books, as I did with the previous stories. Most of the time conversations are stilted, it’s just not the way people talk to one another. Then there’s the meanness that seems to permeate the way these people interact with one another. I have a feeling Ms. Brown is going for feisty independence for her heroines and it just doesn’t come out that way.

Daisy has inherited the Honky Tonk, her home for the last eight years, when she had nowhere else to go and Ruby, the former owner, took her in, mothered her, and eventually gave her the bar that’s come to mean quite a lot to her. One night when crossing the crowded dance floor, she collides with and ends up in a jumble on the floor with a good lookin’, sexy cowboy. I actually like the beginning of this book. It’s cute and fun. But it doesn’t last long, because Daisy suddenly becomes a female no one would want to be near with her immediate attitude toward Jarod.

At least Ms. Brown’s heroes are fun characters. But they take too much guff from the heroines. Jarod has had his fill of being unlucky in love and vows not to get involved again. He doesn’t count on a pretty little flower named Daisy, though, despite the fact she’s a barmaid. They have some misunderstandings along the way, he doesn’t find out she’s also a vet tech until much later in the relationship, but by that he’s smitten and doesn’t care she owns a bar. He tosses his preconceptions out the door long before Daisy ever does. She hangs on way too long and is lucky Jarod is a very patient man.

Even the secondary characters, as much of a hoot as they are, get to be a little much with the mean gene making its way into their speech. They are good for a laugh, however, now and again. And that’s the crux of this series for me. There are moments when I did giggle at something. There are moments when I enjoyed a scene here and there, but those moments come late in this book, either half or a quarter of the way through. It’s after, of course, the heroine has finally come to her senses and she and the hero are close to declaring their love for one another and the meanness is gone. That’s so much more fun, makes it a more enjoyable read.

See my complete review at http://www.goodbadandunread.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love This Bar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

RedBecca You summed up my feelings perfectly

Sandy M I keep trying her books, Becca, hoping she changes something somewhere, but they all keep sounding the same. Only one has been different. And it's too bad because she a great sense of humor and loads of ideas, just goes about writing it all wrong!