Ashton's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Sep 10, 2012

it was ok
Read in April, 2012

This is a great book for those who have never understood or considered suicide because it plays right into their falsified views of what it really is. Her character is whiney, self involved and superficial. Many of the things in this book have happened to me and those are not the things that left me contemplating suicide. Suicide is not revenge. It is a means to an end. You do it when you have nothing left. When your too tired to go on. Why do you think so many people leave a note with only two words. "I'm sorry." And yet Hannah seemed to be enjoying revenge enough to stay alive for a month retracing steps and recording angry tapes. This whole premise is very insensitive, in my opinion, to the true state of a persons heart and mind when they are in a fragile state and instead leaves us with a character who quite frankly is unbelievable, unrealistic, and damaged in a way that suggests she's the crazy one instead of everyone else being mean. I felt like every emotion hannah had was a guy trying to imagine what a girl would feel like and failing. Fail. The person who wrote this had no concept of what a woman actually feels.