Lee Goldberg's Reviews > Rawhide a History of Television's Longest Cattle Drive

Rawhide a History of Television's Longest Cattle Drive by David R. Greenland

Jul 20, 2011

The book is loaded with details on the development and eight-season run of the classic western series, which was created by Charles Marquis Warren (who also brought Gunsmoke to TV from radio and produced the early seasons) and made a star out of Clint Eastwood, who was second-lead behind Eric Fleming.

The author delves deeply into the professional and personal backgrounds of producer Warren and actor Fleming, so that you're able to put their creative clashes into a broader perspective. Naturally, that squabbling had an impact on the show in many ways, and Greenland explores them all.

After Warren left, the show changed hands several times. Greenland closely examines how the show changed creatively, and why, under the subsequent show runners.

I found it fascinating reading, but once the author got into the obligatory actor bios and episode guide, I found myself skimming the rest.

You don't have to be a fan of Rawhide to enjoy this book (I've only seen four or five episodes of the show in my life). It's worth reading to learn how this series was developed and produced and how it evolved...and it's fascinating to see just how little TV series production, at least behind-the-scenes, has changed in fifty ye
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rawhide a History of Television's Longest Cattle Drive.

message 1: by Viccy (new)

Viccy Lee, I LOVED this show. I watched it every week and not because of Clint Eastwood. I was in love with Eric Fleming. I also liked the trail boss, whose name escapes me at the moment. I had no idea this type of book was available. Where do you buy them? Amazon?
Viccy Kemp